Were you hurt at work? There are several things that you must do to file a proper workers’ compensation claim:
- Report your accident to your employer immediately
- Receive medical attention and report all and any injuries you have received
- Contact an attorney
Safety is of utmost importance. If you suffered an injury at work, there are four basic types of coverage:
- Temporary total disability: If you have been unable to go to work for more than seven days, you may recover your compensation rate, which is approximately 66.6% of your average weekly wage. This only lasts for the period that you are out of work while you are receiving medical care for the injury.
Once you have achieved “maximum medical improvement,” you may be able to recover under one of these three types of coverage:
- Scheduled disability: This is for if you have injured a specific body part. You will receive an impairment rating, and that will help determine the settlement you could get. This will account for your compensation rate, mileage, any possible future limitations or medical care, and more.
- Partial disability: This is generally for a work-related injury that results in partial incapacity for work. This looks to the income you were making in comparison with what you are now able to earn due to the work-related injury.
- Total disability: This is when the work-related injury results in an incapacity for work that is total. The focus is not purely on the injury, but on the disability or one’s incapacity to work.
The above is a limited overview, and it is imperative to contact an attorney. A Gaffney workers’ compensation lawyer can help you maximize your benefits under the Workers’ Compensation Act. Meanwhile, you can focus on achieving maximum medical improvement.
Call us today at (864) 489-8128 to learn more about how we can help.
Decades of Experience
With almost forty years of combined experience, our skilled team is ready to help you.
With You Every Step
We'll walk through this challenging process together, and we'll fight for your case without compromise.
We care deeply about our clients and take the time to tailor our representation for each case.
We're honest with you about the challenges you may encounter and we'll lead the way with integrity.