How Do I Claim Workers’ Compensation

Our Gaffney Attorneys Have the Experience You Need

Photo of a worker injured on the job and in need of a workers' compensation attorneyIf you have been hurt at work, there are several things that you must do to file a proper workers’ compensation claim:

  • Report your accident to your employer immediately;
  • Receive medical attention and report all and any injury(ies) you have received;
  • Contact an attorney.

What You Need to Know About Workers’ Compensation

Safety is of utmost importance, but if you are hurt at work, there are four basic types of coverage:

  • Temporary Total Disability: If you have been written out of work for more than seven (7) days you may recover your compensation rate, which is approximately 66.6% of your average weekly wage. This is only for the period that you are out of work and usually receiving medical care for the injury.
  • Once you have achieved Maximum Medical Improvement, you may be able to recover under one of the three:
  • Scheduled Disability: This is basically if you have injured a specific body part. You will receive an impairment rating, and that will help determine the settlement to which you could receive taking into account several things to include your compensation rate, mileage, and any possible future limitations or medical care.
  • Partial Disability: This is generally from a work related injury that results in partial incapacity for work. This looks to the income you were making in comparison with what one is now able to earn due to the work related injury.
  • Total disability: This practically speaking is when the work related injury results in an incapacity for work that is total. The focus is not purely on the injury, but on the disability or one’s capacity or incapacity to work or not to work.

The above is a limited overview and it is imperative to contact an attorney so that you can first work to achieve maximum medical improvement, and secondly maximize the benefits that you are entitled to under the Workers’ Compensation Act.